Thursday 25 August 2011

Bits and bobbins

 
Detail of my portrait of Noel Toy

I'm working on lots of projects at the moment; My portrait of Noel Toy (remember that?) had to be put on hold for almost 6 months while I focused on other work that took me out of the studio and in front of a computer. But now she is near completion. I am still working on her beautiful green tinted visage between other work and I hope to have the finished thing for you to see in the near future. I am currently looking for non clear shellac to finsih off the meatl leaf details on the painting. My regular brand is no longer in manufacture, if anyone knows where I can buy NON clear shellac from please get in touch!

-

I'm working on a small gift painting for someone who has really helped me out over my career as an artist. He is due to retire soon so I thought I'd do a special piece for him. He used to be in the Navy so I've designed a sailor tattoo style with the words 'Last Port' to symbolise his retirement. The work is only a third of the way through but I thought I'd show you where I'm up to:

The design first drawn out on tracing paper and put in place on the canvas

The background colour applied and the first layers of colour on the mermaids

-

I've been spending a lot of time applying for things and putting proposals together which can take a lot of time away from actual creating things hands on. I was trying to think of ways around this when I had a brainwave about embroidery. Yes, embroidery! Providing the piece is small enough, you can carry it around with you anywhere and it will be a great way of passing time in situations where I have a few minutes to spare.

My love of sailor tattoos came to mind as the defined black outlines would transfer beautifully to stitching and line work. I designed this image during another few minutes I had to spare, which I plan to get on embroidering tonight!


It's based on an image of Taiwanese fashion model Jeanine Chin Hsi. I made her rather piratical, and she will have applique hair and shirt before I'm through. I plan on doing some nautical patterns in the background and can't wait to get to grips with the black thread outlines!

No comments: