Wednesday 1 September 2010

Quick update



Just a quick post to give you the results of my Sherlock Holmes deduction skills from yesterday's post. I contacted Helen Davies, the owner of the dressing table I tried to read like a crime scene and this is what she had to say:

'Gemma!! Wow, that was really interesting :) And to answer your question- yes, I would say that all your observations were spot on, I guess in the knowledge that I am 30 you could surmise that there is a big part of me refusing to grow up ...and being a little obsessed with kitsch :) Have you ever heard of semiotics? If not, look it up- I studied it at college as part of a contextual studies module. In a nutshell it is reading an image without the use of words or language- in the main reading the signs- pretty much what you have done here.... Interestingly- since seeing my dressing table online, I have recreated this space. I'll shoot it again and show you the results :) you can see what you make of the transformation :) But all in all- top analysis missis :)'

I am quite suprised at how well I did! My conclusion that Helen lived in shared house was my most intuitive guess and I'm proper pleased it turned out to be correct! I think I may give this technique a few more goes to get into the swing of it and I'll have a look into semiotics, thanks Helen for the tip off ; )

1 comment:

Kittie Howard said...

Way to go, girl! I'd never heard of semiotics before. You've got an amazing blog!